International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Recruiting Station Administrator for IITA Rwanda
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). IITA’s R4D is anchored on the development needs of Sub-Saharan Africa and develops agricultural solutions with partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture.
CIAT, on behalf of IITA, is seeking for a Station Administrator with the overall responsibility of overseeing general administration and support services of the station which contribute to the efficient and effective operation of IITA Rwanda office and the projects it is managing.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Human Resource Management
- Manage HR information and maintain all staff databases and HR filing system.
- Act as liaison and focal person for all HR related matters and ensure compliance with the national labor laws and IITA policy.
- The coordinate recruitment process for Nationally recruited staff with CIAT, HRS and CAH office.
- Supervise NRS (incl annual work plan development and assessment).
- Oversee staff wellbeing and requests in the office, initiate staff teambuilding activities.
- Facilitate the settling and conduct induction/orientation for International Recruited Staff and foreign students.
- Coordinate the process of application for Re-entry Passes/Work Permits, PIN and other documents for International Recruited Staff and foreign students in liaison with CIAT.
- Coordinate staff appraisal process at the station.
- Coordinate periodic general staff meetings.
- Facilitate development of consultant and student contracts in liaison with CIAT, CAH office, HRS and CDO as necessary.
- Prepare and submit monthly HR/Corporate services reports.
- Office Administration, Management and Security
- Oversee general housekeeping of the office.
- Represent IITA in security-related meetings.
- Oversee security matters and staff safety at the workplace.
- Coordinate and ensure the station security and evacuations plans are up-to-date.
- Coordinate implementation of activities identified by the risk management committee as approved by the country representative.
- Support scientists in preparing and implementation of IITA Rwanda project field activities.
- Backstop IITA Rwanda Country Representative and Project Leaders in activities that enhance overall effectiveness and productivity.
- Fleet Management
- Provide oversight on fleet management and supervise all drivers.
- Review and approve vehicle requests.
- Periodically review vehicle tracking reports against logbook reports.
- Ensure cost recovery of vehicle use and charge appropriate costs to IITA Rwanda projects.
- Keep custody of vehicle spare keys.
- Protocol Matters
- Assist the Country Representative in liaising with the host country government and follow up on any matters related to the host agreement.
- Represent IITA in meetings with government agencies and departments as requested by the Country Representative.
- Provide guidance to staff and visitors on protocol and immigration-related matters.
- Procurement and Asset Management
- Provide oversight on the procurement process, import/ export, shipping, reporting and document filing.
- Prepare and manage contracts and communications with vendors for goods and services required by the office.
- Receive all procurement requests and advise requestors on compliance matters accordingly.
- Review bids analysis and purchase orders
- Oversee the stores and inventory management system
- Lead IITA Rwanda Asset Management and ensure all assets are sufficiently and adequately insured.
- Travel and Conference/Workshop management
- Oversee the coordination of international/local conferences, workshops.
- Oversee travel arrangements for IITA staff, collaborators and visitors (tickets, airport transfers, visas, hotels, etc.).
- Support staff in filing travel claims.
- Establish and manage a travel/cash advance systematic the station, in line with IITA policy, and liaise with Finance Directorate on the processing of claims.
- Support IITA Country Representative in budget preparation.
- Support IITA Rwanda project leaders in Cost Centre management.
- Responsible for IITA Rwanda cost recovery system.
- Spearhead an efficient and effective finance-processing schedule for IITA Rwanda office.
- Undertake all financial reporting to Finance Directorate as necessary.
- Lead liaison with CIAT on submission of monthly reports and invoices.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and invoices for the office.
- Participate in donor financial report preparation from time to time as requested by HQ and project managers.
- Ensure proper filing of financial and accounting records for easy retrieval.
- Lead and supervise accounting operations and prepare filing of IITA Rwanda documents in IITA’s financial systems.
- Compile and submit financial reports to the IITA CAH Office in Nairobi.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills, and experience:
- MSc in Business Administration/Management or other relevant subjects with proven office management skills.
- Should have attained a minimum of CPA II.
- Proven capacity to handle complex financial and accounting systems, including ORACLE.
- Proven capacity and experience as a personal secretary in executive email and agenda management.
- At least two (2) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an
International organization and experience with donor-funded projects.
- Prior experience with CGIAR system or a similar international organization is an added advantage.
- High level of computer skills and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Excellent oral and written French and English communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- Strong ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload; is flexible and able to work under pressure.
- Highly effective planning, organizational and multi‐tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation.
- Ability to work in a multi‐cultural environment. Study or work experience in a foreign country/ different cultural setting is an advantage.
- Commitment to IITA’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
The position is nationally recruited, will be based at IITA Offices in Kigali, Rwanda. The contract will be for two (2) year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications, clearly indicating position applied for as: Station Administrator. An Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be attached and saved as one document using candidate’s last name-first name for ease of sorting. The CV should include at least 3 References, including the supervisor of the last occupied work position.
Applications closing date: 19th January 2019
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.