JOB DESCRIPTION: TALENT MANAGER
Company: EarthEnable (known as Tube Heza in Rwanda)
Reports to: CEO, Gayatri Datar
Location: Nyamata, Rwanda (30 minutes south of Kigali), with significant time in rural villages across Rwanda and Uganda
Compensation: Starts modest with significant room for performance-based raises
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished.
About the Role
Constant learning and development is an important part of the EarthEnable culture, and this role will play an important role in making this learning and development happen. This job is for someone who is deeply passionate about people and their learning and professional development. This role will focus on developing skills and capacity among the EarthEnable team as well as building knowledge among our customers and other stakeholders.
The specific tasks of this role include:
- Professional Development:
- Overseeing the professional development program.
- Managing the professional development budget
- Ensuring that all staff are involved in professional development activities
- Manage review, promotion, and bonus structure
- Recruiting and Hiring: Actively seeking out exceptional candidates for high-level roles, including via networking, posting jobs on lists, and seeking referrals.
- Drafting job descriptions and identifying the role within the org chart with the CEO and the Chief of Staff
- Revising and drafting new assessments that reflect daily tasks of the job
- Conducting interviews, contacting references and conducting thorough reference checks (including tertiary reference checks), and making hiring recommendations
- Labor Law and EarthEnable Policy Compliance: Ensuring that EarthEnable Rwanda and EarthEnable Uganda are in full compliance with the labor laws of their respective jurisdictions (including for international staff)
- Notifying management of any changes to labor law
- Conducting investigations into misconduct if necessary
- Maintaining human resource records
- Drafting and managing EarthEnable’s intern human resource policies, including recognizing when changes are necessary
- Ensuring that all company procedures align with labor law
- Staff Support: Keeping all team members happy, comfortable, and productive
- Preparing an onboarding guide for various processes and systems
- Ensuring that all staff know and understand the internal rules and regulations and any changes that may be approved
- Keeping an open door and acting as the first point of contact when staff members have interpersonal or other issues at work
- Mediating interpersonal situations that may arise
- Working with department managers on their staffing responsibilities
- Managing the Talent Assistant (and likely a larger team as EarthEnable grows)
- Overall Team Development: Ensuring that the EarthEnable is prepared for rapid growth.
- Creating a plan for the growth of the staff over the next few years, including new roles and teams, based on EarthEnable’s growth plan
- Work with the senior leadership to develop organizational strategy for team structures, hiring and succession
- College graduate with strong academic record
- 5 years of experience, 2+ in management, with substantial HR experience
- Passion for people finding and succeeding in their dream jobs
- Commitment to impact and strong interest in international development
- Deep knowledge of Rwandan labor law required; knowledge of Ugandan labor law preferred
- Fluency in English
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Google Docs
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow