Position: Technical and Strategic Advisor
Department: National Research and Innovation Fund (NRIF)
Reports to: Executive Secretary, NCST
Contract type: Fixed term contract
Position type: Full time
Start Date: As soon as Possible
Candidates: Candidates are solicited from national, regional or international applicants. Rwandans (living in the country or abroad) and citizens of other countries are all eligible.
The National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) is a public institution established by the Law No 40/2017 of 16.08.2017; with the core mandate of advising the Government on policies, legislation and regulation in the fields of Science, Technology, Research, and Innovation; monitoring the implementation of such policies and legislation; mobilizing funds and managing the National Research and Innovation Fund (NRIF), among others.
NCST would like to hire a highly qualified individual with proven experience, especially in granting programs, to provide key technical and strategic advice on NRIF’s formation and operations including organizing national grant competitions; awarding and managing grants; networking with partners and stakeholders in the public and private sectors; communicating and promoting the importance of science, technology and innovation, and integrating these activities with NCST’s other roles as set out in the mandate.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of NRIF and overall supervision of the Executive Secretary, the Technical and Strategic Advisor will be responsible for:
- Research development analysis and strategy formulation
- Establishment of a Research and Innovation Grant Management System
- Development of grant guidelines and procedures
- Sensitization, networking, and fundraising
- Knowledge Sharing
- Develop and implement a needs assessment of existing research outputs from academia and industry to inform national strategy.
- Develop a robust online (and offline) research management system that ensures effective communication on research and innovation strategies, funding, grant management, monitoring & evaluation and dissemination of research outputs.
- Review and enhance existing grant guidelines and procedures that will enable effective disbursement of funds to researchers in Rwanda.
- Reinforce collaboration with various agencies and research organizations to periodically review and enhance research guidelines in alignment with emerging needs and trends in Science, Technology, Research and Innovation.
- Promote research outputs and improve awareness of the requirements and guidelines for NCST’s research funding mechanisms.
- Strengthen fundraising and resource mobilization from national, regional and international partners.
- To collaborate with national and regional agencies in dissemination and sharing of knowledge
- To promote inter and multi-disciplinary research within the region, as well as cultivating linkages with private sector/industry for joint collaboration and exchange of ideas.
- A Ph.D. scientist, with substantial knowledge of scientific research
- Experience in designing and managing nation-wide research granting systems
- Experience working in research institutions
- Experience working with research funding procedures and mechanisms
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in applying for, obtaining and managing research grants
- Experience in Science, Technology, Research, and Innovation Policy
- Experience of interactions with funding agencies especially government funding agencies.
- At least three (3) years of work experience in a supervisory position
- A good understanding of research methods and analysis software
- Extensive knowledge of IT applications in research management is an advantage
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified individuals should submit a cover letter and CV that includes three referees familiar with his/her work to the Human Resource Management Specialist via e-mail: email@example.com and via MIFOTRA e-recruitment system (https://recruitment.mifotra.gov.rw/) not later than 20th May 2019. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews. For more information, visit the NCST website www.ncst.gov.rw.
NCST is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and persons with disability to apply for this position.