Technical Design Manager
World Vision International (Rwanda) is a child focused Christian humanitarian organization implementing development programs in 24 Districts of Rwanda.
World Vision Rwanda seeks to hire highly qualified, dedicated and experienced nationals for the position of Technical Design Manager. The position will be based at the Head Office in Kigali and reporting to the Health and WASH Technical Program Manager.
Purpose of the position:
The Technical Design Manager will be responsible for design, selection, technical oversight, implementation, evaluation and quality control of World Vision Rwanda WASH and Health infrastructures. S/he will be responsible to effectively plan and ensure the optimum use of existing resources to leverage more and to bring broad impact and achieve World Vision Rwanda universal coverage.
The major responsibilities include:
Technical WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) and Health Infrastructures Management
- Provide Technical leadership of the assigned WASH and Health infrastructures lead to expected outputs and outcomes for the beneficiaries with focus to the most vulnerable.
- Provide support to other sectors with infrastructure development
- Review and approve all WASH-related tender documents (Technical study, Specifications, Drawings, Bills of quantities and Terms of Reference) before their submission in procurement
- Work with the district, other partners and relevant World Vision (WV) staff to develop a clear plan and designs for realizing hardware WASH universal coverage in our WV operating areas.
- Ensure water infrastructure projects are implemented, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to WASH service delivery including national, and international standards, donor guidelines, and other good practice.
Financial and Risk Management
- In collaboration with the Health and WASH Technical Program (TP) Manager, determine the appropriate budget allocation of WASH-related infrastructures, elaborate and define its expenditure plan.
- Ensure a regular review of the expenditure of WASH infrastructure activities in line with the agreed expenditure plan, submitting monthly updates to the WASH and Health TP Manager.
- Represent WV at the district level for identification of viable WASH and Health infrastructures projects and negotiate for modernity of co-funding
- Identify possible risks related to project infrastructures, develop and manage the risk mitigation plan using appropriate tools
Coordinate and Collaboration
- Conduct regular update meetings with the WASH engineers and actively participate in Health and WASH technical program coordination and planning meetings.
- Coordinate WVR partnership agreement for WASH and Health construction activities.
- Ensure the development and/or the implementation of WASH infrastructure business processes, standards, and guidelines at all levels
Accountability, learning, and innovation
- Ensure that all WASH projects are implemented in line with acceptable WV procedures, donor requirements, and partners’ agreements.
- Support the WASH and Health TP manager in resources mobilization and provide information on standards and procedures when required.
- Ensure quality continuous reflection, learning, documentation and reporting of all projects process and partnership.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as risks and Finance Audits, Program evaluations, Program capability Review, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner
- Ensure technical leadership of WASH engineers
- Provide technical support to WASH engineers and facilitate their development to meet their duties and responsibilities
- Abide to staff code of conduct and key policies such as child protection policy, zero tolerance to fraud and conflict of interest
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Sustainability
- Monitor and approve the quality of WASH infrastructures, overseeing the technical design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Participate in the regular monitoring and evaluation assessments of Health and WASH technical program to ensure the contribution of WASH infrastructures in the program is well recorded
- Use appropriate tools to track all WV Rwanda constructed infrastructures location, status, and their management.
Communication and Branding
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures among partners involved in WASH and Health infrastructures establishment.
- Ensure the sustainable branding of all WASH infrastructures and handover of all WASH and Health infrastructures at their final reception
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training.
- Minimum Qualification required:
- The position holder should have a bachelor degree in Water or Civil Engineering, water, and Sanitation engineering or any other closely related technical field. Having a master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management both in development and relief environment.
- A member of a Professional Body (preferred).
- Worked with international organizations (INGOs, Embassies, UN and government)
- Experience of procurement and contract management
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Technical Skills & Abilities:
- Skills in resource mobilization including proposal writing, report writing, networking, and representation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and analytic skills.
- Knowledge of WASH sector policies and guidelines e.g the National Water policy
- Proficiency in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Ability to build effective teams, promote coordination and collaboration
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD and GIS will be an advantage.
- The position holder must be results oriented
- Having negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Experience and skills in networking with other NGOs, government partners, and local community-based organizations.
- Financial Management skills
- Knowledge of community development, empowerment, and mentoring approaches
- Good computer skills especially Microsoft office
How to apply:
Should you wish to apply for this position, please go to http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-rwanda
If this is your first time applying online via the World Vision International careers website, you will need to register an account along with your application details. This site will provide you with additional functionality, such as saved searches and email alerts. Registration requires minimal information to create your account. Further details will be collected during the application process
All applicants must apply using our online application system, CVs received via email or standard post will NOT be considered.
In case you face any challenges in applying, please let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org(no applications will be accepted through this email)
The closing date for submission of applications is 18th November 2018; no late applications will be accepted
As a child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditional upon successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks