TERMS OF REFERENCE
MATERNITY COVER FOR SENIOR MANAGER EVIDENCE TEAM
Who we are:
Girl Effect is a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives.
Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand, and international development; a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways that they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech that we use every day - from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore virtual issues, to magazines written by girls.
In Rwanda, our program is called Ni Nyampinga. We create and broadcast content on radio (through a talk show and a Drama), through a printed magazine distributed across the country, and our digital platforms, including social media, a website, SMS, and IVR.
Context of Assignment:
The stories we disseminate through our Ni Nyampinga platforms are always rooted into the insights that we gather from girls through research on a regular basis, for our content to be authentic, updated and relevant to the adolescent girl in Rwanda. Apart from formative studies, we also conduct monitoring and evaluation of our own activities, to course correct our work as well as to gather results to be used for fundraising and strategic decision-making.
Girl Effect Rwanda has already planned and designed different formative and M&E studies to be carried out during FY22 and is looking for maternity coverage for the Senior Manager Evidence Team role for a period of 6 months, to be able to deliver against the planned objectives.
Scope of Work:
Girl Effect Rwanda is looking for an experienced Senior qualitative researcher, with excellent team management skills and wide experience in applied research and evidence-based programming in Rwanda. His/her role would be to lead the Rwanda Evidence team in finalizing the research design of the different research projects scheduled for FY22, carrying out data collection and data analysis, as well as full report writing. He/she would also be responsible for collaborating closely with our Content and Production team, in order to make sure that the insights from our internal studies are actionable and are provided in a timely manner to inform our NN programming. He/she will also work closely with partners and/or our research stakeholders around joint or externally funded studies. He/she will also support the Senior Management Team by providing the insights needed for strategic organizational decisions and/or fundraising purposes.
- Lead the Evidence team in carrying out different studies committed by GER for FY22 (2 internal qualitative monitoring and evaluation studies, 2 externally funded studies)
- Work closely with GE Evidence Team when needed and represent Rwanda in global evidence meetings;
- Engage the Content and Production team (in collaboration with the strategist manager) with evidence-based briefings and recommendations to inform our NN programming
- Provide relevant inputs to the Senior Management Team to inform strategic and organizational decision
- Represent GER at relevant external meetings and bring back learnings
- Support the fundraising team with proposal writing
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Country Director
Who you are:
- Experienced Qualitative researcher with extensive experience in applied research to inform programming about youth, gender, and adolescents;
- A postgraduate degree holder (Master’s level) in relevant fields (social sciences, gender, marketing…);
- Excellent team and project manager;
- Significant previous experience doing applied research within Rwanda;
- Flexible and able to work under pressure;
- Comfortable in working with young people and with thorough understanding of safeguarding policies and practices during research;
- Cultural knowledge of Rwanda;
- Preferably based in Rwanda;
- Preferably having some previous experience working with Girl Effect.
The selected consultants will report to the Country director at Girl Effect Rwanda.
Interested suppliers should send their CVs, including 2 references, and an application letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Manager Evidence Team” in the email subject line by 17th October 2021. The shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.