TERMS OF REFERENCE
QUALITATIVE RESEARCH MODERATORS
Who we are:
Girl Effect is a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives.
Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand, and international development; a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways that they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech that we use every day - from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore virtual issues, to magazines written by girls.
In Rwanda, our program is called Ni Nyampinga. We create and broadcast content on radio (through a talk show and a Drama), through a printed magazine distributed across the country, and our digital platforms, including social media, a website, SMS, and IVR.
Context of Assignment:
The stories we disseminate through our Ni Nyampinga platform are always rooted into the insights that we gather from girls through research on a regular basis, for our content to be authentic, updated, and relevant to the adolescent girl in Rwanda. It is in this respect that we are looking for a pool of 4 young women that will support us with qualitative data collection to help us fill gaps in knowledge about girls in Rwanda, develop the Ni Nyampinga content and inform our strategies in programming.
Scope of Work:
Girl Effect Rwanda is looking for four young women to conduct regular research fieldwork with young girls, young boys, adults in the community, practitioners, and stakeholders in the field of youth and gender. The research fieldwork may include exploring certain topics for Ni Nyampinga, evaluating effectiveness of the brand, collecting data on interest areas for Girl Effect or external partners (SRHR, women’s employment and economic empowerment, mental health among others) as well as any ad-hoc research needs Girl Effect Rwanda have. The qualitative moderators will work as individual consultants and will be engaged in specific assignments according to the research needs of the organization. The consultancy will span over 7 months (until the end of May 2022) and the contract might be renewed if both parties are satisfied with the work done.
- Recruitment of participants & facilitation during Focus Group Discussions and interviews
- Compilation of the results from the discussions and provision of feedback to the GER Qualitative researchers
- Work closely with the Girl Effect Qualitative researchers
- Give field report of each session conducted
- Transcription of collected data (annotated and verbatim)
- Fieldwork management support
Who you are:
- Excellent communication, organisational, and time management skills
- Experienced in qualitative research skills
- Good interviewing skills
- Experience in using voice recorders and cameras
- Good in transcribing and translating lengthy audio files
- Experience working with young girls, young boys, and adults in Rwanda
- Cultural knowledge of Rwanda
- Ability to work in the field, traveling, flexibility
- Experience in using Microsoft Word, Microsoft excel
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda
The selected moderators will report to the Associate Manager Evidence and Insights at Girl Effect Rwanda.
Interested suppliers should send their CVs, including 2 references, and an application letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Qualitative moderator application” in the email subject line by 17/October/2021. The shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.