Terms of Reference – Community Development Strategy
International Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church.
Its message is based on the Bible.
Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.
Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
Rwanda and Burundi mission Statement:
- Share the gospel so people can receive Christ as their Saviour and their lives be transformed.
- Be a strong and confident fellowship of believers, spiritually mature and with a clear sense of calling and service for God.
- Serve and be models in the community where we live and work, so that societies may develop and people’s lives be changed.
The external the consultant is expected to develop a community development strategy for The Salvation Army Rwanda and Burundi Command. The document will strategically analyze the organizational structures and mitigate all the risks which can affect the community development work. It will serve as a guidance framework during a specific and determined period for all activities affecting the development of communities in Rwanda and in Burundi. This strategy is meant to build capacity, define thematic focus and strengthen the partnership with all potential partners.
The world is rapidly changing thus affect working and performances models. In order to align with Sustainable development Goals, needs assessment are to be carried out thoroughly by:
3. Data collection tool: With different instruments, the targeted and sampled communities will be assessed both in Rwanda and Burundi.
4. Community Development Strategy document: A contextual document which defines priorities, sets direction and results in positive transformation.
5. Geographical coverage The targeted communities are Divisions and Districts of The Salvation Army in Rwanda and Burundi Command. The THQ Leadership and Head of Departments will be strategically be considered and some few key local people in those communities of Rwanda and Burundi.
6. Methodology and Process There is a great need of a neutral voice who will analyze our current management system, our organizational structures, our Human resource structures, and project management system in order to provide independent views in the respect of community Development Strategy and priorities. The Consultant will go down to 6 Divisions (One of them is located in Burundi). This professional consultant will be doing focus group discussion, with huge experience in development work with other organizations especially in the area of community and rural development. He will investigate laws in Rwanda, laws in Burundi and how they are affecting the development framework vs Salvation Army and also helps us to identify potential partners to partner with. He will help us to identify the GoV priorities in connection with Sustainable Development Goals. The approach to be used will be a participatory and inclusive approach.
- Expected qualifications for the bidders Interested consultants are required to clearly indicate their methodology and must have the following key competencies:
- A Master’s degree in Project Management, Monitoring, and evaluation, research and Development or other related fields from a recognized university;
- Technical M&E skills including demonstrated knowledge and experience in undertaking comprehensive assessments and /or researches;
- Understanding and experience of community development work in linkage with sustainable Development Goals.
- High capacities of data tabulation and analysis skills
- Excellent report writing and data interpretation;
- At least five years of experience in the related field of Researches;
- Strong knowledge on laws affecting community development work in Rwanda and in Burundi
- Able to translate rough information into thematic priorities
- Fluent in English
How to apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above consultancy job and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria, please submit your technical proposal to us on Francois_Nsengimana@rwa.salvationarmy.org with a copy to Rwandaproject@rwa.salvationarmy.org before 15th May 2019. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.