TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICES
To facilitate and deliver grants proposal writing workshops and innovative fundraising for farmer organizations.
Vi Agroforestry is a Swedish NGO that has been operating in East Africa since 1983. The organization has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and a Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya; with country offices in Kigali (Rwanda), Kampala (Uganda), Mwanza (Tanzania), and Kitale (Kenya).
Vi Agroforestry is currently implementing her strategy 2017-2021 that aims to have smallholder farmer families in Sub-Saharan Africa with sustainable improved livelihoods through increased climate change resilience, food security, higher incomes, and greater equality between women and men by 2021. The strategy targets smallholder farmer families living in poverty, with a special focus on women, children, and youth, who are members or potential members of democratic farmers’ organizations in areas vulnerable to climate change in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Vi Agroforestry has a Regional Funding strategy running from 2018 – 2022 that contributes to the organizational efforts to achieve strategic ambitions to mobilize funds for thematic working areas.
Vi Agroforestry has a presence in Rwanda since 2005 and supports 8 partner organizations working with Agroforestry for Livelihood Empowerment Programme (ALIVE)-one of the programmes implemented across all the four East African countries. The organization also supports partners on projects funded by other donors.
Vi Agroforestry intends to hire the services of an individual consultant to deliver a grants proposal writing training workshop to selected teams drawn from Vi Agroforestry and its partner organizations in Rwanda. The training should equip participants with skills on how to write winning grant proposals especially related to the sustainable development of smallholder agriculture, innovation, and capacity building of farmers’ organization, and enable them to submit high-quality proposals in line with the requirements of relevant funding opportunities such as the European Union, USAID, as well as private foundations, calls.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to conduct training on resource mobilization with a focus on proposal development. This will involve transferring advanced knowledge and building advanced skills in writing winning proposals and effective fundraising skills (effective mobilization of human and other resources for enhancing the Organization's capacity both internal and external).
Specific objectives include
- The consultant will collect relevant materials necessary for the comprehensive resource mobilization training and other tools to write a successful and convincing proposal
- The consultant will help trainees to have the ability to learn new trends in the fundraising and resource mobilization, identify and understand different institutional donor requirements and then know which donors are a priority in Rwanda including how to find links to fundraising opportunities or call for proposals in Rwanda
- The consultant will enable trainees with the capacity to analyses to call for proposals using at least two past examples of calls for proposals.
- The consultant will enable trainees with the capacity to develop a problem tree for analytical problem analysis for two different calls for proposals
- The consultant will empower trainees with knowledge to develop an objective tree, log frame matrix, and theory of change
- The consultant will empower trainees with general knowledge on how to develop a comprehensive proposal using real examples of call for proposals. This will include a discussion on the different types of proposals, Rules and tips on proposal writing (do’s and don’ts in proposal writing), contents of a good proposal, and lastly proper budgeting/costing in proposal development.
- The consultant will guide trainees in developing a real project proposal that the organization intends to apply for
- The consultant will help trainees to know which donors and their requirements for Rwanda and will share platforms and links where calls are published.
- The consultant will enable trainees to know/understand an innovative and competitive proposal in a reviewers’ eyes
- The consultant will support the trainees to be able to plan, prospect, and write good proposals and assist their organizations to be able to find other sources of funds.
The Resource Mobilization Training will be in English and will be led by a consultant who will design the plan for work with a maximum of 5 working days.
The consultant is expected to come up with a detailed methodology for making the training successful, taking into consideration the local context and use of appropriate materials. It is expected that innovative and participatory techniques will be employed to ensure maximum involvement and internalization of skills by participants. Training methodologies must be adult learners friendly and context/ sector-specific for the organization as opposed to theoretical training or general lecturing on resource mobilization. The methodology and training content will be discussed and approved by Vi Agroforestry before the commencement of the task.
The consultant will need to travel to the training destination that will be suggested by Vi Agroforestry.
N.B The training should end with an action plan by the organization
4. The Expected deliverables of the work
- Design methodology for conducting the training on resource mobilization
- The consultant will guide trainees to be able to come up with one full proposal developed and submitted to a donor
- Share the tentative training contents with Vi Agroforestry for approval
- A well-bound copy of detailed notes of the presentation
- A comprehensive training report with detail of achieved objectives
A maximum of 7 working days (seven) shall constitute the period of this task.
Number of days
Design training methodology and submission of training contents
Conduct comprehensive Resource Mobilization Training
Training report writing and submission
Total number of days
The date for the task will be November 23rd to 27th 2020. The deadline for the application will be on 30th October 2020 at 12:00 PM.
The consultant(s) should have the following qualifications/expertise:
- Postgraduate degree in Project Management, Fundraising and resource mobilization, Social science, economics, rural development, or others as may be relevant (essential)
- 5years’ experience of training in proposal development to a recognizable institute
- Proven experiences of engagement in proposals development in the past 5 years
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda (essential)
- Be registered by RDB as consultancy company or individual consultant
The consultant and Vi Agroforestry will agree on the remuneration rate per person/day. Charges related to taxes and secretarial fees are to be borne by the consultant. As part of this negotiation process, the consultant should propose the fees s/he wishes to charge noting that Vi Agroforestry will cover the man-days to be spent in conducting the training and reporting.
N.B The consultant/firm should use its/his/her own transport and accommodation and the tax responsibilities are assumed by the consultant.
Interested applicants should send the following documents; -
- A letter of interest, accompanied by Registration certificate from RDB, tax clearance, and RSSB certificate
- A Technical offer showing the interpretation of the ToR and indicating a detailed proposed methodology,
- A CV of the consultant or consultancy firm showing previous relevant experience, and
- A detailed financial proposal (expressed in Rwandan francs) all taxes inclusive sealed in a separate envelope.
- All documents should be addressed to the Country Manager, Vi Agroforestry Kigali office at Fair View Building, KG622 ST, Kimihurura, Kigali. Second Floor, house A. Opposite Lemigo Hotel.
- The documents/hard copies can be submitted to the country office or send a soft copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and give a copy to email@example.com not later than 30th October 2020 at 12:00 PM