TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
For information, education, and communication (IEC) materials development
I. Subject: Development for information, education, and communication (IEC) materials for prisoners and stakeholders
Lawyers of hope is a Non-Governmental Organization with the mission to seek and reach out to the most vulnerable members of Rwandan Society, in particular Children, Prisoners, Women and other needy people, to seek Justice on their behalf, and to share with them Christ Love and compassion.
Funded by USAID Duteze Imbere Ubutabera (DIU) through Chemonics International Inc., Lawyers of hope is implementing 18 months Access to Justice Activity entitled Duteze Imbere Ubutabera (DIU). The objective of DIU is to:
1) Improve judicial effectiveness in both formal court mechanisms and community justice (Abunzi).
2) Improve public understanding of judicial system processes and legal rights.
Lawyers of hope is looking for a suitably qualified consultant or firm to assist the project to develop the IEC materials.
The primary objective of this study is to develop information, education, and communication (IEC) materials for prisoners and prison officers.
The first steps of design information, education and communication materials on key laws and legal procedure for prisoners was to conducting a legal needs assessment for prisoners.
The second step was to reviewing existing tools developed by different actors in prison.
The third step is to develop information, education, and communication (IEC) materials on laws and legal procedures for prisoners and prison officers including both domestic and ratified international treaties.
The fourth step is to design a user-friendly booklet, a poster and a brochure on key laws and legal procedures for prisoners and community stakeholders. This study will focus only on development of IEC materials.
III. Expected accomplishments
The assignment has been designed based on the following objectives:
- Develop an inception report includes methodology of the development and pre-testing of IEC materials. The inception report must be discussed and approved by the DIU and LOH team before further work continues.
- Develop IEC material for prisoners, prison officers, and visiting prisoners’ family members.
- To develop a communication and dissemination strategy for LOH.
- The consultant should provide a written recommendation for the suggested use of each IEC material developed. This recommendation should include printing specifications or other technical details.
- Pre-test all materials through focus groups with partners. Revise based on feedback
VI. Consultant’s Profile
The consultancy will be conducted by an independent consultant or firm with the requisite skills Set to conduct his/her mission.
Prospective individuals and firms should provide a CV detailing their relevant skills and experience, the overall proposal package must have the following documents:
- Expert knowledge and practical experience in information, education, and communication (IEC) materials development special focus on prisoners legal needs
- Strong analytical, presentation and writing skills in English and Kinyarwanda
- A cover letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications, experiences and motivation to carry out the activity
- The candidate has detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Proposal including methodology, work plan with timelines and cost of assignment covering all expenses
- Proven and extensive experience in the development of training curricula and materials;
- A high standard of professionalism;
- Master degree in law and other related fields.
Time frame for consultancy
The expected period for this assignment is approximately 14 days. The successful candidate should be able to take up her/his duties as soon as the contractual documentation has been finalized.
V. How to apply:
The individual/firm must submit the following documents along with Technical & Financial Proposal including taxes. The application files must be delivered by hand to the Lawyers of hope office address at Solace Ministry KG 563 St, Kacyiru, and Kigali.
VI. Application deadline
Friday, 26th April 2019 before 5 pm. For any additional information you can visit Lawyers of hope office or call on +250 785247005
Note: All applications must include an operational e-mail address and a mobile phone number. Please note that applications sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
Done at Kigali on April 12, 2019
Me Gahizi Safari
President of the board of Lawyers of hope