The Ihangane Project
User-Experience Software Designer Fellowship
The Ihangane Project (TIP) is a nonprofit healthcare organization that began in 2008 as a grassroots effort to address health challenges in Rwanda. We have evolved into a highly effective model for delivering primary health care to vulnerable people everywhere and a leader in the design and implementation of local health care delivery systems. TIP promotes community-driven solutions that strengthen National Health Systems and has developed E-Heza, one of the first point-of-care digital health record systems in the country.
The Ihangane Project based in Ruli, Gakenke District is looking to hire a User-Experience (UX) Software Designer for a six-month fellowship to support the expansion of E-Heza to meet the needs of healthcare workers at health center. This is a paid position, with the opportunity for full-time employment beyond the duration of this fellowship. The UX Design Fellow will help us with our ongoing design projects for one of the first point-of-care digital health record systems in Rwanda. Duties include conducting user research, helping analyze our designs to align with clinical protocols, work on user flows, developing visual designs and creating functional prototypes. You will work collaboratively with consultants, executive staff, and TIP team throughout the planning and development lifecycle.
As a TIP UX Design Fellow, you will help in the design development of a user interface that save lives. You will be responsible for the design of mobile user experiences for nurses as part of a suite of visual clinical data collection and diagnostic tools with an expanding set of capabilities. We are looking for a person who has a deep passion for design and an ability to work collaboratively to make her/his work into an implementation that healthcare users will want to use to serve their patients. You will be constantly challenged to leverage your creativity and your technical skills to meet users’ needs and extend their ability to use E-Heza and the clinical data it generates.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Able to develop mock-ups, flow diagrams, conceptual diagrams, wireframes, visual mockups, and interactive prototypes
- Experience with design tools (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, After Effects, Quartz Composer, Framer Studio, or other design tool)
- Support usability testing, developing user experience standards and requirements
- Produce and test design deliverables such as interaction flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Support design sprints side-by-side with our executive team and consultants
- Work directly with the TIP team and consultants to ensure designs are implemented as effective user experiences
- Assist in primary user research
- Degree in graphic design, user experience design, human-computer interaction or related field, and/or 2-3 years of design project experience (professional or academic)
- Creative, reliable, enthusiastic, and hardworking
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-starter and collaborative
- Knowledge of data management systems (DHIS2 and OpenMRS)
- Empathic, patient, problem solver
- Posses an understanding of healthcare delivery infrastructure in Rwanda
- Demonstrated ability to interact with different cultural groups
- Strong background in user-centered design principle
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- 1+ years of design projects (professional, academic or internships)
- Digital design experience preferred
The Ihangane Project is headquartered in Ruli, Rwanda. Ruli is in a rural community in the beautiful hills of the Northern Province in Rwanda. Remote work is negotiable.
To start the application process, send a cover letter, resume/CV, and at least 3 design project work samples (PDF attachment or website link) email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org