Vegetable and Tree Crops Enterprise Technical Lead
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Technical Lead for the Vegetable and Tree Crops Enterprise to support the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of vegetable and tree crops farms, as well as in hands-on students training. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in practical farm operations within vegetable and/or fruit tree cropping systems. Tractor and machine operation and basic maintenance, pesticide application, and records keeping are essential skills for this position. The candidate should be able to work independently and efficiently direct the activities of farm labor. Candidates who have a passion for agricultural education and who are willing to actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills will be prioritized.
- Report to the Enterprise Lead in the technical management of vegetable and tree crops farms
- Work with the Enterprise Lead and other academic staff in hands-on training of students in farm operations and farming practices
- Manage farm equipment and machinery used on vegetable and tree crops farms
- Support relevant community outreach extension planning and activities
- Supervise activities of farm labor.
- Participate in the planning, purchase, storage, and use of relevant inputs (agrochemicals)
- Collect and organize detailed records of farm operations, including inputs used, machine use, machine maintenance schedules, etc.
- Seasonally evaluate, report and advise on farm profitability and sustainability.
- Any other relevant task that may be assigned to him/her.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, crop science, or 5+ year experience as a farm technician or manager.
- Experience operating tractors and other farm machinery.
- Ability to solve basic mathematical problems applied to agricultural operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced speaker of English
- Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years in the production of vegetables and fruits.
- Hands-on experience of at least three (3) years in the use of agricultural equipment and machinery (agricultural mechanization).
- Experience and ability to keep detailed records of farm activities and inventory.
- Working experience with small scale farmers.
- Experience with extension services and experience in farm management.
- Ability to prioritize a busy workload to meet deadlines and targets.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following documents in English by using the" Apply for this job" button below
- A cover letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position.
- A resume or CV.
- Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained.
- List of recommenders with contact information.
Applications are open until the position is filled.
Date: June 25, 2019