Water & Waste Water Systems (W&WWT) Manager
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co‐curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Water & Waste Water Systems (W&WWS) Manager to ensure that all water & wastewater systems are well-maintained and continuously monitored, operationally efficient, in compliance with manufacturer warranty/defects liability agreements, and repaired according to manufacturer guidance. The W&WWS Manager will work within the Facilities Department to contribute to the smooth running of the Campus facilities.
The RICA installation includes a water treatment plant (Culligan), sewage treatment plant (Bannow), lake abstraction, mechanical center pivots for irrigation (Zimmatic Pivots), drip irrigation systems, >2km of HDPE pipe systems at >500mm diameter, pumping systems, water storage facilities, and commercial facilities (buildings) with interior plumbing (toilets, piping).
- Manage all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the water & wastewater systems in a safe and environmentally sound manner.
- Establish priorities for maintenance, execute preventive maintenance, and supervises the performance of emergency and routine maintenance for water & wastewater installations supporting the campus. Includes compliance to the manufacturer's guidance on warranty regarding maintenance & repairs..
- Coordinate repairs, preventative maintenance, and inspections on water systems not related to wastewater treatment, including pump systems and center pivot & drip irrigation systems.
- Train and manage plant operating, maintenance and administrative staff; includes quality assurance checks on technician activities/repairs.
- Procure parts, materials, services and support resolution of technical issues.
- Support comprehensive utility planning, including planning for future uncertainty, setting performance targets and levels of service, and developing capital improvement programs to support identified needs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical/water engineering or equivalent.
- 5 years’ experience in the management of water & wastewater systems including extensive knowledge of machines, equipment, materials and operating practices of a large and complex water treatment plant; a demonstrated ability to organize and supervise water treatment plant technicians.
- Knowledge of the chemical and physical processes in the treatment of drinking water governed by Rwanda Standards Bureau (RSB) regarding potable water.
- Strong leadership, communication, and technical skills; diligence/attention to details.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record; willingness to travel between Bugasera & Kigali on a regular basis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; experience submitting regular reports on O&M tracking.
- Experience managing wastewater treatment plant for WASAC or large-scale residential facility highly desirable.
- A Master’s Degree (higher level than Bachelor’s) in mechanical/water engineering.
- Experience with large-scale agricultural irrigation systems (e.g. drip irrigation, mechanical center pivot irrigation).
- Experience repairing pipe networks (HDPE systems) using pitbull or other fusion welding machine.
- Strong Analytical and diagnostic capabilities to troubleshoot and correct issues.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit your application form using the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZ9uVoIarfhCa40gy2wnEx1V563WPHPnaniQu5h_v7FuabgA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Review of applications will begin May 15th, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.