Water & Waste Water Systems (W&WWT) Technician
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co‐curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Water & Waste Water Systems (W&WWS) Technician to ensure that all water & wastewater systems are well-maintained and repaired according to manufacturer guidance. The W&WWS Technician will work within the Facilities Department to contribute to the smooth running of the Campus facilities, and report to the W&WWS Manager.
The RICA installation includes a wastewater treatment plant (Culligan) including sewage treatment, mechanical center pivots for irrigation (Zimmatic Pivots), drip irrigation systems, >2km of HDPE pipe systems at >500mm diameter, pumping systems, water storage facilities, and commercial facilities (buildings) with interior plumbing (toilets, piping)
- Perform engineering work with the water, wastewater, and civil engineering teams.
- Perform field activities such as site and infrastructure investigations.
- Prepare and review technical analyses and calculations for drinking water, recycled water, wastewater planning, and design.
- Conduct water quality sampling, oversight, and data analysis.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical/water engineering or equivalent.
- 2-3 years’ experience in the repair and maintenance of water & wastewater systems including knowledge of machines, equipment, materials and operating practices of a large and complex water treatment plant.
- Knowledge of the chemical and physical processes in the treatment of drinking water governed by Rwanda Standards Bureau (RSB) regarding potable water.
- Experience working for WASAC wastewater treatment plant or large-scale residential facility highly desirable.
- Experience with large-scale agricultural irrigation systems (e.g. drip irrigation, mechanical center pivot irrigation).
- Experience repairing pipe networks (HDPE systems) using pitbull or other fusion welding machine.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit your application form using the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZ9uVoIarfhCa40gy2wnEx1V563WPHPnaniQu5h_v7FuabgA/viewform?usp=sf_link
Review of applications will begin May 15th, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.